(Last updated: Sunday, April 29, 2018)
You’ve probably stumbled upon this page and are wondering who this fairly handsome man is, right? The name’s Robbie Key, *extends hand out for a handshake* and it’s nice to meet ya!
As you have undoubtedly noticed (unless you’re blind … wait, how are you reading this?!), this is MY blog! That’s right, MINE! For the most part, this is simply a place I come to write about whatever I want, whenever I feel like it and, perhaps most importantly, to be myself! Go check out the My Works section if you wish to check out a selection of my professional works. This is just the section of my blog where you can get to know a thing or six about me.
Anyway, I’m 26 years old, and I’m a passionate gamer — always first and foremost — and a journalist who has the dream of becoming a video game journalist.
I originally got into writing in college during my freshman year at Stephen F. Austin State University. I attended SFA to major in computer science so I could learn to create video games, but computer science ultimately did not, well … compute. But I realized when I put an effort into writing that I enjoy it and am pretty good at it — if I may say so myself. Three years later, I graduated with a B.S. (that’s bachelor of science, not bullshit you cretin!) degree in journalism and minored in radio/TV.
Recently, I was fortunate enough to live my dream writing about video games as an intern for Game Informer! This was not a go-out-and-grab-a-coffee-with-two-sugars-for-the-big-cheeses kind of internship. From the moment I stepped into the office to the moment I thought about a tasty dinner after a rewarding day at the office, I was preoccupied with writing glorious content. Articles included things like myriad news stories, a preview in which I talk about my hands-on experience with a game or features ranging from an entertaining top-10 list or a profile on someone in the video game industry. Read more about my Game Informer internship here!
Before Game Informer, I was the assistant news editor for The Daily Sentinel newspaper in Nacogdoches, Texas, and did some freelance for them afterward. As assistant news editor, I got to do fun things like lay out and design pages, edit copy using my AP Style knowledge — though I use my own brand of writing here that I call “Texting Style,” which is basically how I write when I text people. I use a lot of AP Style in my texts because, well, I’m a dork. I also use this unofficial video game style guide book. Anyway, I also wrote stories — including gaming stories for the Sentinel’s Nacogdoches magazine — any chance I could get and helped manage social media.
From September 2012 to September 2016, I wrote purely about gaming goodness over at Analog Addiction (now called jamiex66.com). It was an awesome job I voluntarily did during my free time in which I created content such as news stories, features, interviews, reviews and videos.
But that’s just a quick gist about me. Some other random fun facts about me are:
• I have been playing video games since I was 4 years old. My first console ever was a Nintendo 64, and the first game I ever played was Super Mario 64. I even got my cartridge signed by the legendary Charles Martinet when I went to E3 2016. I recently, finally got all 120 stars as well.
• My birth name is, of course, Robert, and I am the fifth Robert in my family.
• I’m 6-foot-1. I really like measuring up to people’s standards. Oh, and I’m a master of puns.
• I have run four half marathons, though that may as well have been a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away….
• Preferred gaming system: I just like video games, dude. There’s enough love for PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo, PC, and yes, even you Vita.
• Video games I love (Disclaimer: Not necessarily my set-in-stone favorites or listed in any particular order because my true tops is the hardest question EVER): Metal Gear Solid 3, Resident Evil 4, Batman Arkham City, Super Mario 64, Gears of War 2, Valkyria Chronicles and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
• Currently playing: The latest God of War, and oh my Kratos is it excellent. After that, I plan on playing Star: Wars Republic Commando — one of my all-time favorite Star Wars games — through Xbox One backward compatibility, as well as reviewing Dragon’s Crown Pro.
• Video game(s) recently beat: I took it upon myself to finish several games in my backlog during my Game Informer internship. Those titles include Doom, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Red Dead Redemption, Superhot (check out the review for that here), and Inside.
• Movies I love (see the above disclaimer): original Star Wars trilogy, Airplane!, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Breakfast Club, The Raid 2 (I can actually claim this masterpiece as my all-time favorite action movie), The Room (not to be confused with Oscar-winning title Room).
• TV shows I love (see the disclaimer above the see the above disclaimer): Breaking Bad, Home Improvement, Arrested Development, Whose Line is it Anyway (old stuff preferably, but the newer stuff isn’t bad), Yu Yu Hakusho, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, South Park.
• I really like making duct tape wallets on occasion. Hell, I love duct tape!
If you want to get in contact with me, which I don’t why you WOULDN’T, post a comment here or send me an email with the subject line “Let’s talk (whatever it is you want to talk about), Robbie” to firstname.lastname@example.org. From there I’ll send a message from personal email. Thanks for your time!
Disclaimer: Anything, and I do mean ANYTHING, I say on here is not a reflection of any employers or their beliefs. All content produced here is mine and mine alone.