(Last updated: Friday, August 17, 2018)
You’ve probably stumbled upon this page and are wondering who this fairly handsome man is, right? The name’s Robbie Key, *extends hand out for a handshake* and it’s nice to meet ya!
As you have undoubtedly noticed (unless you’re blind … wait, how are you reading this?!), this is MY blog! That’s right, MINE! For the most part, this is simply a place I come to write about whatever I want, whenever I feel like it and, perhaps most importantly, to be myself! Go check out the My Works section if you wish to check out a selection of my professional works. This is just the section of my blog where you can get to know a thing or six about me.
Anyway, I’m 26 years old, and I’m a passionate gamer — always first and foremost — and a journalist who has the dream of becoming a video game journalist.
I originally got into writing in college during my freshman year at Stephen F. Austin State University. I attended SFA to major in computer science so I could learn to create video games, but computer science ultimately did not, well … compute. But I realized when I put an effort into writing that I enjoy it and am pretty good at it — if I may say so myself. Three years later, I graduated with a B.S. (that’s bachelor of science, not bullshit you cretin!) degree in journalism and minored in radio/TV.
Recently, I was fortunate enough to live my dream writing about video games as an intern for Game Informer! This was not a go-out-and-grab-a-coffee-with-two-sugars-for-the-big-cheeses kind of internship. From the moment I stepped into the office to the moment I thought about a tasty dinner after a rewarding day at the office, I was preoccupied with writing glorious content. Articles included things like myriad news stories, a preview in which I talk about my hands-on experience with a game, or features ranging from an entertaining top-10 list or a profile on someone in the video game industry. Read more about my Game Informer internship here!
Before Game Informer, I was the assistant news editor for The Daily Sentinel newspaper in Nacogdoches, Texas, and did some freelance writing for them afterward. As assistant news editor, I got to do fun things like lay out and design pages, edit copy using my AP Style knowledge — though I use my own brand of writing here that I call “Texting Style,” which is basically how I write when I text people. I use a lot of AP Style in my texts because, well, I’m a dork. I also use this unofficial video game style guide book. Anyway, I also wrote stories — including gaming stories for the Sentinel’s Nacogdoches magazine — any chance I could get, and helped manage social media.
From September 2012 to September 2016, I wrote purely about gaming goodness over at Analog Addiction (now called jamiex66.com). It was an awesome job I voluntarily did during my free time in which I created content such as news stories, features, interviews, reviews and videos.
But that’s just a quick gist about me. Some other random fun facts about me are:
• I have been playing video games since I was 4 years old. My first console ever was a Nintendo 64, and the first game I ever played was Super Mario 64. I even got my cartridge signed by the legendary Charles Martinet when I went to E3 2016. I recently, finally got all 120 stars as well.
• My birth name is, of course, Robert, and I am the fifth Robert in my family.
• I’m 6-foot-1. I really like measuring up to people’s standards. Oh, and I’m a master of puns.
• I have run four half marathons, though that may as well have been a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away….
• Preferred gaming system: I just like video games, dude. There’s enough love for PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo, PC, and yes, even you Vita and Wii U.
• Video games I love (Disclaimer: Not necessarily my set-in-stone favorites or listed in any particular order because my true tops is the hardest question EVER): Metal Gear Solid 3, Resident Evil 4, Batman Arkham City, Super Mario 64, Gears of War 2, Valkyria Chronicles, God of War (2018) and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
• Currently playing: Paper Mario: Color Splash. I needed something (surprisingly) hilarious, vivid, and light-hearted to salvage what little humanity remains in me after playing Bloodborne, Dark Souls Remastered, and Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin back to back to back. I also need to be checked into a Picross clinic after all the Picross S 2 I’ve been playing on Switch.
• Video game(s) recently beat: God of War, Bloodborne, Dark Souls Remastered, and Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin. I need to lie down now.
• Movies I love (see the above disclaimer): original Star Wars trilogy, Airplane!, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Breakfast Club, The Raid 2 (I can actually claim this masterpiece as my all-time favorite action movie), The Room (not to be confused with Oscar-winning title Room).
• TV shows I love (see the disclaimer above the see the above disclaimer): Breaking Bad, Home Improvement, Arrested Development, Whose Line is it Anyway (old stuff preferably), Yu Yu Hakusho, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Hunter X Hunter, and South Park.
• Music I love: (see the disclaimer above the see the above disclaimer above the see the above disclaimer): Two Steps From Hell, Cake, Demon Hunter, Queen, Metallica, variety of entertainment soundtracks, Adele (yeah, I admit it!) Disturbed, and Michael Jackson.
• I really like making duct tape wallets on occasion. Hell, I love duct tape!
If you want to get in contact with me, which I don’t why you WOULDN’T, post a comment here or send me an email with the subject line “Let’s talk (whatever it is you want to talk about), Robbie” to email@example.com. From there I’ll send a message from personal email. Thanks for your time!
Disclaimer: Anything, and I do mean ANYTHING, I say on here is not a reflection of any current or past employers or their beliefs. All content produced here is mine and mine alone.