(Last updated: Tuesday, Jan. 30, 2018)
You’ve probably stumbled upon this page and are wondering who this fairly handsome man’s man is, right? The name’s Robbie Key, *extends hand out for a handshake* and it’s nice to meet ya!
As you have undoubtedly noticed (unless you’re blind … wait, how are you reading this?!), this is MY blog! That’s right, MINE! For the most part, this is simply a place I come to write about whatever I want, whenever I feel like it and, perhaps most importantly, to be myself! Go check out the My Works section if you wish to check out a selection of my professional works. This is just the section of my blog where you can get to know a thing or six about me.
Anyway, I’m 25 years old, and I’m a passionate gamer — always first and foremost — and a journalist who has the dream of becoming a video game journalist (look out for exciting news about that next month!).
I originally got into writing in college during my freshman year at my alma mater, Stephen F. Austin State University. I attended SFA to major in computer science so I could learn to create video games, but ultimately computer science did not, well … compute. But I realized when I actually put an effort into writing that I enjoyed it and am pretty good at it — if I may say so myself. I eventually graduated with a BS (that’s bachelor of science, not bullshit you cretin!) degree in journalism and minored in radio/TV.
Right now, I’m lucky enough to be living my dream reporting on video games as an intern for Game Informer! This is not a go-out-and-grab-a-coffee-with-two-sugars-for-the-big-cheeses internship. From the moment I step into the office to the moment I start thinking about a tasty dinner when exiting the building, I’m preoccupied with finding and writing some kind of news story, a preview in which I talk about my hands-on experience with a game, or a fun feature that’s either an entertaining top-10 list or a profile on someone in the video game industry. Check out all of my works for Game Informer here!
I’m the former assistant news editor for The Daily Sentinel newspaper in Nacogdoches, Texas, though I still do some freelance work for them. As assistant news editor, I got to do fun things like lay out and design pages, edit copy using AP Style knowledge, though I use my own brand of writing here that I call “Texting Style,” which is basically how I write when I text people. I use a lot of AP Style in my texts because, well, I’m a dork. I also use this unofficial video game style guide book. Anyway, I also wrote stories — including gaming stories for the Sentinel’s Nacogdoches magazine — and helped manage social media.
From September 2012 to September 2016, I wrote purely about gaming goodness over at Analog Addiction (now called jamiex66.com). It was an awesome job I voluntarily did during my free time in which I created content such as news stories, features, interviews, reviews and videos.
And don’t let my lengthy writing fool ya. I can most certainly write in a concise manner, but I think people like — and deserve — more details more often than they realize.
But that’s just a quick gist about me. Some other random fun facts about me are:
• I have been playing video games since I was 4 years old. My first console ever was a Nintendo 64, and the first game I ever played was Super Mario 64. I even got my cartridge signed by the legendary Charles Martinet when I went to E3 2016. I recently, finally got all 120 stars as well.
• My birth name is, of course, Robert, and I am the fifth Robert in my family.
• I’m 6-foot-1. I really like measuring up to people’s standards. Oh, and I like puns.
• I have run four half marathons (though that may as well have been a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away….).
• Preferred gaming system: I just like video games, dude. There’s enough love for PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo, PC, and yes, even you Vita.
• Video games I love (Disclaimer: Not necessarily my set-in-stone favorites or listed in any particular order because my true tops is the hardest question EVER): Metal Gear Solid 3, Resident Evil 4, Batman Arkham City, Super Mario 64, Gears of War 2, Valkyria Chronicles and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
• Currently playing: MachineGames’ Wolfenstein games. Also started Inside and will probably finish that for the first time next time I play it.
• Video game(s) recently beat: I got every, single, blister-inducing achievement in that gorgeous game. You can even read my splendid review of Cuphead here. I’ve also beaten all of the current Wolfenstein games and am working on polishing off the achievements.
• Movies I love (see the above disclaimer): original Star Wars trilogy, Airplane!, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Breakfast Club, The Raid 2 (I can actually claim this masterpiece as my all-time favorite action movie), The Room (not to be confused with Oscar-winning title Room).
• TV shows I love (see the disclaimer above the see the above disclaimer): Breaking Bad, Home Improvement, Arrested Development, Whose Line is it Anyway (old stuff preferably, but the newer stuff isn’t bad), Yu Yu Hakusho, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, South Park.
• I really like making duct tape wallets on occasion. Hell, I love duct tape!
If you want to get in contact with me, which I don’t why you WOULDN’T, post a comment here or send me an email with the subject line “Let’s talk (whatever it is you want to talk about), Robbie” to email@example.com. From there I’ll send a message from personal email. Thanks for your time!
Disclaimer: Anything, and I do mean ANYTHING, I say on here is not a reflection of any employers or their beliefs. All content produced here is mine and mine alone.