You’ve probably stumbled upon this page and are wondering who this fairly handsome man’s man is, right? The name’s Robbie Key, *extends hand out for a handshake* and it’s nice to meet ya!
As you have undoubtedly noticed (unless you’re blind … wait, how are you reading this?!), this is MY blog! That’s right, MINE! For the most part, this is simply a place I come to on occasion to write about whatever I want, whenever I feel like it and, perhaps most importantly, to be myself! Go check out the My Works section if you wish to check out a selection of my professional works. This is just the section of my blog where you can get to know a thing or six about me.
Anyway, I’m 24 years old, and, in a quick sum, I’m a passionate gamer — always first and foremost — and a journalist who has the dream of becoming a video game journalist.
I originally got into writing in college during my freshman year at my alma mater, Stephen F. Austin State University. I attended SFA to major in computer science so I could learn to create video games, but ultimately, computer science did not, well … compute. But I found when I actually put an effort into writing that I enjoyed it and, if I may say so myself, am pretty good at it. I eventually graduated with a BS (that’s bachelor of science, not the other thing you cretin!) degree in journalism and minored in radio/TV.
Right now I’m the assistant news editor for The Daily Sentinel newspaper in Nacogdoches, Texas. I get to do fun things like lay out and design pages, edit copy using AP Style (though I use my own brand of writing here that I call Texting Style, which is basically just how I talk to people when I text them. I use a lot of AP Style in my texts because, well, I’m a dork), write stories — including gaming stories for our Nacogdoches magazine — and help manage social media.
From September 2012 to September 2016, I wrote purely about gaming goodness over at Analog Addiction. It was an awesome job I voluntarily did during my free time.
And don’t let my lengthy writing fool ya. I can most certainly write in a concise manner, but I think people like — and deserve — more details more often than they realize.
But that’s just a quick gist about me. Some other random fun facts about me are:
• I have been playing video games since I was 4 years old. My first console ever was a Nintendo 64, and the first game I ever played was Super Mario 64 (I even got my cartridge signed by the legendary Charles Martinet when I went to E3 2016).
• My birth name is Robert, and I am the fifth Robert in my family.
• I’m 6-foot-1. I really like measuring up to people’s standards. Oh, and I like puns.
• I have run four half marathons (though that may as well have been a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away….).
• Preferred gaming system: I just like video games, dude. There’s enough love for PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo, PC, and yes, even you Vita — whenever I get a nice used one, that is.
• Video games I love (Disclaimer: Not necessarily my set-in-stone favorites because listing my true tops is the hardest question EVER): Metal Gear Sold 3, Resident Evil 4, Batman Arkham City, Super Mario 64, Gears of War 2, Valkyria Chronicles.
• Currently playing: Replaying the Mass Effect trilogy on Xbox One/Xbox 360. Currently on the first game.
• Video game(s) recently beat: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the Switch. I mean, I completed the story and wiped the floor with Ganon’s face, but after 100 hours in three weeks I need a break.
• Movies I love (see the above disclaimer): original Star Wars trilogy, Airplane!, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Breakfast Club, The Raid 2 (I can actually claim this masterpiece as my all-time favorite action movie), The Room (not to be confused with Oscar-winning title Room).
• TV shows I love (see the disclaimer above the see the above disclaimer): Breaking Bad, Home Improvement, Arrested Development, Whose Line is it Anyway (old stuff preferably, but the newer stuff isn’t bad), Yu Yu Hakusho, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, South Park.
• I really like making duct tape wallets on occasion. Hell, I love duct tape!
If you want to get in contact with me, which I don’t why you WOULDN’T, post a comment here or send me an email with the subject line “Robbie Key contact” to email@example.com. It’s not my professional email, but I can’t just go passing that out on the internet like party favors now can I? I will reply to you with the subject line “Robbie Key reply.”
Disclaimer: Anything, and I do mean ANYTHING, I say on here is not a reflection of my employers or their beliefs. All content produced here is mine and mine alone.